Monday, May 2, 2016

Strength in my university life

Assalammualaikum and hi everyone!

            I would say thank you to our lecturer for giving us a chance to write down our story in this blog. It was an honoured for us, the 3rd batch counselling’s student to have the opportunity to express our thought, story, experience and such on about the ‘Kasih Sayang di Universiti

            First of all, let me introduced myself. My name is Salinah Binti Samin, a 22 years old female, good in sleeping and eating from the Land below the wind, Sabah. Alhamdulillah, I got a chance to continue my studies in University Malaysia Sarawak in my second appeal. After Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia (STPM), I thought that I couldn’t make it to university and I’m losing hope that time while all my friends are like ‘Kau dapat sambung mana wey?’. With my straight face and cool gesture as I try to hide my sadness I say ’belum ada rezeki. Nanti kalau sudah masuk university jangan lupa datang lawat saya di rumah’. I thought it was a convincing word to let them know that I don’t want to talk about it that time but they were like a bullet shot, talking hour and hour without non-stop
‘tipulah kau tidak dapat masuk’
‘berapa pointer ko ? kenapa tidak dapat masuk’
‘mari saya check keputusan kau. Kau salah tengok kali tu’

            Fast forward to the appeal day and yeayyy I made it! Never thought I can see it clearly that ‘Tahniah ! Anda berjaya ……. Di Universiti Malaysia Sarawak dalam jurusan Kaunseling dengan Kepujian’. Counselling? Since when did I choose this course for crying out loud? Counselling and me are like dogs and cats since I have that ‘nightmare’ about being rejected when I went to interviewing for the Pembimbing Rakan Sebaya. So moving on, I told my parent, they were happy and I realize that it is the time I step out from my comfort home to pursue my dream in Sarawak. (Okay. What a long introduction for this topic. Haha)

            This is the first time I’ve been away from my house and also my first time to be on a flight. I fly all over from Sabah to Sarawak in my own. Luckily I met my friend which also the same intake with me and also met a new friend also. It was a hectic day for us running from one building to one building, registering everything with our very big luggage and end our day registered to our own college. Mine is Kolej Tun Ahmad Zaidi (TAZ). It was a small college, but just nice for me to have a rest in a small single room. There I met my housemate. There were friendly and help me a lot in lending me their broom. It was my first time having friend other from Sabah. I feel excited and yes I miss home. Thanks to my ‘Sahabat Sampai Tua’ group who always cheered me up here.

Picture 1: Picture taken with my best friend at Desa Cattle Dairy Farm, Kundasang, Ssbah

            The next day, I went to class. Luckily again, one of my schoolmate will be my classmate also. So it will be not so awkward to enter the morning class. I look around and didn’t find some familiar faces except my schoolmate. It took me few months to know each other name and creating the friendship bonding since I’m a shy person and rather sit in the back or stick with those who I already knew. In my second semester, I get along with them smoothly with the help from group assignment, meetings, discussion, and also from variety of programme.  There, I met with my current best friend forever (BFF) which the geng kuat makan, geng kuat jalan,geng kuat tengok drama Korea and geng kuat tidur, the cheerleader group (it was not an official group name. It was decided due to the popular song Cheerleader by Omi)

Photo 2: Short vacation at Pantai Kampung Alit,Saratok, Sarawak

            This photo was taken during this semester for our short vacation to my friend house in Saratok. We went there by bus; it took us about 4 hour and a half to Saratok. Khairul’s family gave us warm welcome and serve us the tradition Sarawak dishes like Umai Ikan Tenggiri, Ayam Pansuh, Ikan Masin, and Orange Juice which was very delicious. From Saratok – Pantai Kampung Alit, Sibu, and lastly to Sarikei we end our journey. It was tired yet fun journey.


Photo 3: Picture with Khairul’s family at Sibu.

            I love hanging out with them. They are the person who remind me to finish my assignment, my late night make-up experiment model, my steamboat partner, and my geng kuat jalan plus kuat ketawa partner. This is what I called happiness in the university. The person who always bright up my days. For all the things happen in my university life, I’m grateful for the entire person who appears in my life. Now that I’m in forth semester, I realize that I’m not alone even that I’m far away from my home. I still got-in-touch with them by phone, WhatsApp and other social media. This is what I called the strength that motivate me to pursue my dream. The strength that boost my happiness.

            Little advice from me, to those who will further their study in University or any college, first of all I would like to congratulate you for being a mahasiswa or mahasiswi! I know it’s hard to let go your precious one at home, but believe me being in university is one of an amazing things you will learn. Don’t lock yourself in you dorm, try to find you happiness. Maybe you can participated in club or any dancing or act in the college. That is all from me. Hope that this entry gives you a little bit inspiration or motivated you in some way. Thank you for reading my story. Till we meet again in sometime.

By hand and heart.
Salinah Binti Samin

49995

No comments:

Post a Comment